Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bates's New Great Adventure or...

...Why Do All His Rides Involve Getting Wet??

(Bates sent this post through the MadCyclists' group but I thought it worthy of publishing here, so I copied & pasted. Great story - now I want a CX bike! Enjoy! -jane)

I finally assembled my cyclocross bike, and took it out for a shake down late this morning.
The nearly smooth tires I chose are both fat and light, 700-32s, and don't be fooled, they roll real easy. I had previously tried normal cyclocross tires, read MudGrips... mudgrips do not roll on pavement worth a hoot.

Anyway, off I went, I rolled up Hebron Valley to Haywood, took a right on Hoover Rd, then a left onto Duet road. The bike was feeling great, all new to me especially with these easy rolling 'fattys'. Duet road is paved for about a mile and a half, and has a rather steep downhill. Bike was feeling good, tracks great, I let'er go on the hill. No spedo as yet, but I'd say I rounded the corner at the bottom around 35... Solid as a rock, downright confidence inspiring. I turned right onto Whipporwill Road, and went over the mountain to Etlan, refilled my H2O botttles, and fed my pie hole a Snickers and off I went, back up the hill I had come from from Etlan, but took a left onto Hughs River Rd, took that down to Pophams Ford Rd. You have probably never been on Pophams Ford rd... It is an old county rd, and it is cobblestone, well actually smooth river rocks, and they don't call it a 'ford' for nothing, actually there are two fords. I approached the first ford, a little one about 10 feet across, I didn't even stop, plunged in, crossed without even getting my shoes damp.... Nothing to it...The second ford goes over (through) the Hughes River, about 25 feet across, as I said, Nothing to it.... Until I hit the bolder mid stream, and then dearly wished I wasn't clipped in. OK so now I have very wet feet, but I remained upright. Oh well 'In for a pound' forge ahead.

At the end of Pophams Ford I met a locked gate with a paved road on the other side, locked?? Oh well, throw the bike over, climb over and on my way. Cool little stretch of road, old farm houses, well restored, I am obviously in Rappahannock!

Up the hill to Slate Mills RD.. I made it to my goal, now how the hell do I get home.
Hang a right onto Slate Mills rd. and go until I see some road on the right that looks like it goes to our Novum Loop and comes out up on Arrington Mtn.
I passed Major brown Rd, and took the next right on Green Rd which turned to dirt, and then intersected with Major Green Rd.. Oh well. Dirt road, up, up ,up... Then down down down, in the woods, repeat.

I was wondering whether I was on the right road, in the woods I couldn't see the mountains for bearing. So top of a hill (mountain) I whip out the rider's helper (cell phone) and call Aden. It seems Phones don't work wherever I am. Oh well, it's a pretty day, pedal on....
Up the road maybe 1 mile, the phone rings, it's Aden's friendly voice, just about as I see a sign saying I'm back in Madison, Aden consulted GoogleMaps, and verified if I go straight, I was in fact on 604, the road to Arrington Mtn. Thank goodness I wouldn't die of starvation out in the woods.

Rest of the ride went as if I planned it. Back home before the wind got whipping.
Test Ride was a huge success, CX bike with its long wheelbase, and slick geometry, coupled with fat smooth tires is an absolute Hoot, way better than I expected. Dirt roads are a whole new world... I saw 3 cars on the dirt sections, two of the cars were the same mailman who I passed twice.

No comments: